Blog Archive

Friday 2 November 2007

Why we're happy to go naked in public


Shoppers stripped to bag a prize when Store 21 opened. Lydia Whitfield asks: why would you go naked?
LAST weekend, six-months-pregnant Rachael Joynes stripped down to her underwear for just £50 in shopping vouchers at the opening of new clothes shop, Store 21.
The ‘Who Bares Wins’ promotion saw 22 queue outside the new shop at Caerphilly’s Castle Court Shopping Centre and 22-year-old Rachael, from Britannia, near Caerphilly, was front of the queue.
Rachael, who is due to give birth next February, is no stranger to baring all and at 16 modelled in just a bra in Newport town centre for a promotion in a local newspaper.
Rachael, a former student at Lewis Girls’ School, Ystrad Mynach, and A-level student at University of Glamorgan, is mum to Ethain, 20 months. She says: “My brother Craig came up and told me about the competition because he had seen it in our local newspaper.
“I’ve always been confident with my body really. I modelled in just a bra in Newport town centre with another girl when I was younger – I put it all down to experience.
“I would love to do more modelling. Since becoming pregnant, I haven’t been able to go for many modelling competitions, but this was a laugh. The only time I thought, ‘Shall I do this?’ was when I was driving down there.
“My ex-boyfriend Andrew Dunphy told me I looked nice enough even though I was pregnant and encouraged me to go down there and do it. I think he was a bit shocked when I actually did.”
Rachael bought jeans, shoes, top, cardigan and jeans for her brother Craig with her vouchers. She and Craig drove there with Ethain and Craig’s three-year-old daughter Courtenay.
Daredevil Rachael says: “I’ve had a mixed reaction since doing it. My grandfather is in his late ’50s and is shocked by everything.
“My parents Neil and Lorraine have always encouraged us in whatever we want to do. They’re not shocked by anything I do.
“My mother laughed and would have come with us but couldn’t. I didn’t realise I was in the paper until my best friend, Stacey Baker sent me a text. Her boyfriend had seen it and she said, ‘I heard about you in the paper Rach. You never cease to amaze me!’
“Store 21 is really good – you get loads for your money. I’ll be going back there.”

ICWales

No comments: